Brandon Ito, MD, MPH
Assistant Clinical Professor
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences
UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine
Dr. Brandon Ito is an Assistant Clinical Professor of Psychiatry in the Division of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He completed medical school at the UC Irvine School of Medicine, masters degree in public health from the Harvard University School of Public Health, adult residency training at UC San Francisco, and fellowship in child and adolescent training at New York University Langone Center and Bellevue Hospital. Dr. Ito has completed additional training in LGBTQ+ mental health and global health at UCSF, the UCLA Medical Education Fellowship, and Stanford University Faculty Development in Clinical Teaching program.
Dr. Ito serves in several clinical roles at UCLA, including the UCLA faculty practice, Behavioral Health Services (BHS), Behavioral Wellness Center, supervising in the Child & Adult Neurodevelopmental (CAN) Clinic, and helped establish LGBTQ+ mental health services within the Division and the UCLA Gender Health Program serving transgender and gender non-binary youth. Dr. Ito’s educational roles include Clerkship Chair of Psychiatry at the David Geffen School of Medicine (DGSOM), Educator for Excellence for the DGSOM pre-clinical curriculum, Systems-Based Healthcare tutor, and faculty in the UCLA LGBTQ+ Primary Care Fellowship and DGSOM LGBTQ+ Early Authentic Clinical Experience.
Dr. Ito is a dedicated advocate for reducing disparities within medical education and LGBTQ+ health, and proudly serves on the Department of Psychiatry Diversity Advisory Committee and LGBTQ+ Equity & Diversity Committee.
- University of California, San Diego; B.A.
- University of California, Irvine; M.D.
- Harvard University, M.P.H.
- University of California, San Francisco, General Psychiatry Residency
- New York University, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
Research & clinical interests
LGBTQ+ mental health, racial and sexual health disparities, medical education, medical student and physician wellness and mental health, underserved populations
Roles within the division/Fellowship
- Attending, Child & Adult Neurodevelopmental (CAN) Clinic
- Psychiatrist, Behavioral Wellness Center
- Psychiatrist, Behavioral Health Services/SHIP
- Clerkship Chair, Psychiatry Core Clerkship at the David Geffen School of Medicine
- Co-leader, Systems Based Healthcare Course at the David Geffen School of Medicine
- Behavioral Health Provider, UCLA Gender Health Program
- Faculty Supervisor, UCLA LGBTQ Primary Care Fellowship
- Lectures on such topics as LGBTQ youth and intersectionality