James McGough, MD, MS
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Department of Psychiatry and Biobehavioral Sciences
David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
James J. McGough, M.D. is Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior and David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles. He is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association (APA) and the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP). He is currently appointed as the Chair of AACAP’s Program Committee. Dr. McGough graduated from the Duke University School of Medicine in Durham, N.C., where he remained for his residency in Psychiatry. He completed a fellowship in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at UCLA, where he also earned a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in clinical research. He is also chair of the UCLA Medical Institutional Review Board for Neurosciences. Dr. McGough is Board Certified in Psychiatry and Child and Adolescent Psychiatry. He serves as a consultant to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration Psychopharmacology and Pediatric Advisory Panels, and has been a principal or co-principal investigator in over 50 clinical trials, including both NIH and industry sponsored studies. He has authored over 150 research publications, reviews, and book chapters and one book with a particular emphasis on pediatric psychopharmacology and ADHD.
- 1986 – Duke University School of Medicine, M.D.
- 1989 – Duke University School of Medicine, General Psychiatry Residency
- 1991 – UCLA, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
Research & clinical interests
- Pediatric Psychopharmacology
- Experimental Medication Trials
- Childhood irritability and Severe Mood Dysregulation
Roles within the division/Fellowship
- Director of Clinical Program in Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorders and the Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology Program
- Chair of the Medical Institutional Review Board
- Deputy Program Committee Chair, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP).