Veronica Barenstein, PhD
Clinical Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
UCLA - David Geffen Medical School
Director, Family and Couple Therapy Program Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior
- 1996 – New York University, PhD in Clinical Psychology
- 1998 – The Minuchin Center for the Family, Postdoctoral Training
- 2011 – Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy (AEDP), Postdoctoral Training
Research & clinical interests
- Family and couples therapy in acute hospital and outpatient settings
- Consultation with OB-GYN infertility program
- Substance use, brief intervention with community health workers and Latino populations
Roles within the division/Fellowship
- Developed family and couples therapy elective training program for child psychiatry fellows and psychology interns. Trainees experience includes: administrative aspects and liaison with other services, case selection and assignment, and conducting family and couple therapy with didactic/ theory seminar and weekly live one-way mirror and videotaped supervision and consultations.
- Provide instruction in family therapy to first year fellows through the Psychotherapy Techniques Seminar
- Inpatient Family Therapy Rounds: Co-lead and co-created a monthly Family Therapy Rounds component for the Psychiatric Inpatient Adolescent Unit at Ronald Reagan Hospital including the family in both acute and long term mental health treatment. Includes didactic training and case consultations.