To dictate from an outside line: 1-310-794-2001
Dictation Services: x55831, x55959, 800-905-0084 (after hours)
- From UCLA phone: dial #30, from home dial 1-310-794-2001
- Enter your pager ID number followed by # (i.e. 12345#)
- Enter location code
- For ER or Ronald Reagan: 1# (Westwood)
- For NPH inpatient units: 2# (NPH)
- Enter document type:
- For ER Psych Consults: 44# (outpatient consult)
- For Ronald Reagan Consults: 4# (inpatient consult), 7# (inpatient progress note)
- For NPI inpatient notes: 12# (inpatient H&P), 18# (inpatient discharge summary), 16# (inpatient progress note)
- For NPI outpatient notes: 13# (outpatient H&P), 17# (outpatient progress note)
- Enter patient’s 11-digit Clinical Serial Number (CSN).
- Follow verbal instructions and then start
- For initial H&Ps: Press * to mark dictation as “STAT.”
- Press 5 when you are done and write down your dictation
- Once your dictation is complete, you can edit it in CDS and then sign
IMPORTANT: Make sure to send your dictation to the attending of record as an addendum.
Basic Dictation Commands
|Mark dictation as “STAT”||*|
|Go to end of dictation||44|
|Go to beginning of dictation||77|
|End dictation||5 (remember to record the dictation number)|
“This is an emergency room psychiatric consult for patient Sally Gane, CSN (11 digits), MRN (7 digits). Date of service: May 3rd, 2013. Next section. Chief complaint: “I’m sad.” Next section.”
Things you can tell the transcriptionist:
- “Next line”; “New paragraph”; “Next ”
- “Note to transcriptionist: at the end of the HPI, please add the following sentence:”…” OK, now let’s go back to the end of the Next section: past psych history, etc.”
- When numbering lists, g. medical history: “number 1, diabetes, next line, number next, CAD,” etc.
- “Please insert [Adult Psychiatry Review of Systems OR Adult Psychiatry Physical Exam Dictation Standard OR Adult Psychiatry Mental Status Exam Dictation Standard].” Generic text (outlined in templates above) will be automatically inserted into your dictation, which you may then edit verbally.
You can also create your own dictation templates that can automatically be inserted into your dictation, such as a normal physical exam, basic mental status, etc. Type out the template and e-mail it to Leslie Wizan (firstname.lastname@example.org), who will give you further instructions.
NOTE: When utilizing dictation or Care Connect templates, take care to edit standardized texts as necessary to accurately document the patient encounter.
Dictation Problems: Email Leslie Wizan (email@example.com), with any dictation issues (i.e. wrong CSN / MRN, missing dictation, etc), or to request a separate instruction manual / command guide. Overnight or on weekends, call 1-800-905-0084 to ask for help with dictation issues.
Fluency Flex: Real-time dictation from your phone. Also email Leslie Wizan (firstname.lastname@example.org) to set this up.