Many patients discharging from the ER would benefit from bolstered or higher levels of care, from obtaining an outpatient psychiatrist to enrolling in a UCLA PHP. When providing referrals, consider options available to the family based on clinical need, financial situation, insurance situation, and geographic location. An updated referral sheet is available in the ER office and is a great starting point (it is also included in the back of this book). Remember to discuss all referrals with the attending on-call prior to making recommendations to the family. Attendings may have additional ideas.
Important numbers for quick reference:
- UCLA Access number: 310-825-9989 – for outpatient appointments, although many child clinics do not use this. They will know, however, if there are child attendings accepting private patients.
- RNPH Admissions Office: 310-267-8009 – for voluntary direct admissions
- – Suicide Hotlines: 877-727-4747 or 1-800-273-TALK (8255)
- Emergency Psychiatric Response: 800-854-7771 – LA County Dept of Mental Health 24/7 Access Line. Can be used to call the PET or PMRT teams to provide emergent psychiatric evaluation in the field during acute crisis.
- Adolescent Partial Hospitalization Program: Call or email Jennifer Humphrey (x54727, p94986) to discuss appropriateness of case to milieu and space availability. PHP does not accept Medi-Cal patients.
- ABC Child Partial Hospitalization Program: Call or email Leah Platkin (x50415). ABC does not accept Medi-Cal patients.
- Child OCD Intensive Outpatient Program: Call Sisi Guo, PhD (310-206-4875) to discuss possibility of admission to this program. It is highly selective.
- Early Childhood Partial Hospitalization Program (KidsConnect): Intensive day program for young children with autism spectrum disorders and other impairing disabilities. Usually a waiting list, and there are specific requirements to be considered. It is a fabulous resource. To access the application, direct parents to: https://www.semel.ucla.edu/ecphp/register
- Community Mental Health Clinics: If the child needs outside referrals, refer to the list of community mental health clinic referrals in the Psych ER office (see resources)
- OCD and Anxiety Disorders Clinic: General line: 310-825-0122. For intakes/referrals, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Intake coordinators: Deepika Bose (310-825-2064). The family should also be given other referrals in case they are not accepted into this clinic.
- STAR Clinic: If you feel the child would benefit from an outpatient trauma-focused clinic, call STAR at 310-825-7573.
- Child and Adult Neurodevelopmental (CAN) Program: Contact CANclinic@mednet.ucla.edu. Please note that full autism evals are cash-only, but families may use their insurance for medication management visits.
- Child and Adolescent Mood Disorders Program (CHAMP): For children with mood disorders and family focused therapy/evaluations, email Stephanie Herpich (email@example.com)
- Youth Stress and Mood Program: Call 310-794-4962 or e-mail Chase Venables (firstname.lastname@example.org).